WWAD Time = 10:00 am every Wednesday
Georgia is heating up and so is our city, so we will walk earlier in the day. Beginning next week on June 11 we will depart at 10am for our walk and continue through June/July/August. Yes, that means we are leaving an hour earlier. Active Adults that we polled voted to have a leisurely breakfast routine at home and then come walk, so 10am wins!
Walk With a Doc is a free, group walking program, that occurs weekly at the Decatur Recreation Center. We are local chapter of http://www.walkwithadoc.org and offer 7 routes across the city and average about 3 miles weekly at an easy pace. We have a doc join us and a CAPS volunteer walk with us to keep us safe at crossings and around hazards. Usually about 10-15 walkers arrive for the walk and enjoy a informal chat with a different doc each week. Below is a list of docs who have led our walks and we are always recruiting for more. We start each walk with a quick intro, grab some water, and head out.
Staffer Tracie leads along with the guest Doc, and the CAPS volunteer brings up the back. Our routes are on sidewalks and in greenspace throughout the city. Everyone enjoys the chat while walking 2×2 and it has become quite social. Come meet some new folks and ramp up your fitness routine. Sometimes we try new tools like trekking poles, chi walking, cooling neck scarves, pre-post walk stretching sessions.
Free shirt to those who walk
Walking is the one activity that everyone can do without special gear although we do recommend a good, supportive shoe, water, and a sun visor. We issue Walk With a Doc shirts to all walkers and Docs who complete one walk with us. Come get your shirt!
See you at 10am every Wednesday, meet Tracie in the lobby!
Doctors partnering with WWAD in 2013/2014 in Decatur, GA
- Tom Brillante, Optometrist
- Sharman Colosetti, Psychotherapist
- James Meyers, Fire Captain, City of Decatur
- Melissa Bloom, PT, DPT, NCS
- Kevin Hendler, DDS Geriatric Dentistry Emory
- Sandy Bramlett, Nia, Chi Walking, Zumba 50+
- Khurram Khan, MD Wesley Woods Outpatient Clinic
- Don Batisky, MD Pediatric Hypertension, CHOA
- Gregory White, Director, Decatur Active Living
- Gedalia Genin, ND Naturopath
- Cathy Vogel, Lead docent at Friends of the Decatur Cemetery
- Sara Shuler, Neurologist, Dekalb Medical
- Dana Young, Owner and Healer Dragonfly Reiki
- Gretchen Evans, Veteran OEF, Command Sergeant Major USArmy
- Rosie Milan, Vitality Coach and expert
- Arthur Ratliff, State Farm Insurance
- Trent Lowe, Smart911, Heart Month
- Erin Hinek, Psychotherapist, Fleurish Psychotherapy
- Tracie Sanchez, Decatur Active Living
- Frances Moriarty, RN & Master Gardener at the Wylde Center
- Gayle Christian, Chi Walking Instructor & Librarian
- Kan Guvensel, Licensed Professional Counselor
- Neli Manova, Program Associate, Big Peach Running Co.
- Joe Nocera, CVNR Cognitive Effects of Exercise, Emory CVNR & Atlanta VA
- Lyn Menne, Asst City Manager, Community & Economic Dev.
Photo albums of previous walks
We keep and share our WWAD photos on facebook, share as you like.